Sunday, October 13, 2024

September Cookies

 A friend that had purchased the promise of "2 dozen cookies for an upcoming event" at a ward auction cashed in and had me do them for her son's mission gathering.

Designing cookies for an English mission that isn't London turned out to be a challenge!





    


The tie gave me a lot of issues!
I really wanted to do a big flag on the tie.  I knew piping it (far right tie) would be hard and I would end up with craters and/or bleeding so I tried watercoloring first (the first three ties).  However, it was hard to get the colors right and I had some feedback that they looked like I had used a marker on them (which I did not take as a compliment :)  I tried over and over to make it look right using different techniques (eventually giving the piping a try just to see what would happen) but I just couldn't come up with something I was pleased with.  So I gave up on the original idea and did a more classic tie with a tiny flag at the bottom.

Here are my cute little transfers before I stuck them on the cookies


I wanted to send some Alaskan themed cookies up to Abby and her crew before she came home.  I realized I had better get a move on in case they took a long time to ship or something so I did feel a bit rushed on this set...wished I could have experimented a little bit more but I just had to go with it.



The northern lights cookies were what I mostly wished I would have had more time for.  Trying to figure out how to get a dark sky background but light colors on top and then trying to get those light colors to move the way the lights do was a challenge.


I really wanted to do something with the totem pole look and the Haida art that is typical of that area.



Aside from not getting the northern lights looking as good as I wanted, I was not loving the colors of my water color cookies next to the colors of the other designs.  The set did not look cohesive to me :(
Abby appreciated them though which was my aim.

I don't know if I have posted these this year or not but these are the birthday cookies I have been giving out this year.  I thought I would snag a picture of a big batch I did.





No comments:

Post a Comment