Saturday, August 3, 2024

Glacier Trip Part 1 (Days 1 & 2)

For a much needed family vacation, we decided on Glacier National Park.
Andy had never been and even though it wouldn't fully be open at the time that we could all go, we decided to do it anyway.
We rented a van since Andy didn't necessarily trust our own.
Poor Ben had a seizure out of the blue about an hour in to our 9 hour drive up to Montana :(
We were also testing out not using a car booster for the first real time.  He seemed to have a bit of a hard time getting comfortable but I think by the end of the trip he was feeling better about things.


We made it into Columbia Falls that same evening and loved our sweet little Air BandB bungalow!



It even had a window seat!





 Taken the next morning (or some other morning...I can't remember)
Such a fun little screened in porch with rocking chairs!


Isn't she cute???

But back to our first night....Andy took the older boys just a short walk away down to the river.




Then Andy and I went and found a grocery store and also picked up dinner.
We finished off the night with card games...hearts and Skull King were the faves this trip.


The next morning we made our way into the park.
Stopped at Lake McDonald to admire the super clear water and multicolored rocks.






Then, a little bit further down the road...
Sacred Dancing Cascade




Each time we would stop for a quick look off the roadside, whoever wanted to would take turns so Ben could stay in the car. 

Our destination for the day was a boardwalk loop (Trail of the Cedars) that we knew we could take Ben on easily.  When we arrived (at the end of the road....going further on Going to the Sun Road was not an option as it was still closed because of snow) Ben was asleep :(  Bless his heart!  He was still recovering from his seizure the day before and it had become clear that morning that he was a touch sick (which explained the seizure)  He was so out...there was no way, even after getting him in his chair, that he would stay awake, so we made the decision that Andy would take the other guys and do the extended trail (Avalanche Falls) while Ben and I waited in the car.








Isn't this incredible?!?!?






When they made it back two hours later Ben was still out and I was much further in whatever book I was reading at the time.  It had gotten warm in the car so I had kept the windows down and was privy to a colorful group of hikers that came back and found they had a ticket since they had parked in a disabled spot without authorization.
Since Ben was still asleep Andy convinced me to go with him up the trail just a little ways.

It was very beautiful and I'm glad he had me get out of the car :)






We had a date with a boat tour that evening at Lake McDonald Lodge but in the mean time we drove out of the park and found a place to eat.



We thought we had plenty of time but the food ended up taking forever so we were a bit rushed to get to the boat in time.  The food was really good though so we decided it was worth it.


I'm going to be honest...I don't know why I thought I could handle a boat tour...I don't have a good history with boats but there we were, sitting in the boat, waiting to take off and I was already feeling nauseous :(

Josh said a prayer for me...just kidding...I don't know what he's doing here.

I just ended up holding on to Ben and keeping my eyes closed most of the hour.


Matt went up top for a little bit.


A rare moment when I surfaced to get pics of Ben's enjoyment.




Me too Buddy, me too.

Finally, solid ground again.  This is from up at the lodge looking down at the dock.


I felt pretty yucky :*(


The guys took a different route back up to the lodge so I sat and waited for them

These were the fun little red car/buses you saw all around the park giving tours.

Back at our place with snuggly Ben.
More games that night before we hit the hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment