Back in the fall when I visited my sister in New Hampshire, we drove up to Maine and found a quaint, little quilt shop along the way.
That is where I bought my first batik fabric.
The woman that sold it to me made me promise that I wouldn't be one of those quilters who doesn't combine batiks with other types of fabric :)
A few weeks ago I was in our LQS and found some delicious pink and red batiks that I thought would make a fun valentine project.
While I bought my first batiks in the fall, I have not used them yet, so this was my first project with batiks. Although I kind of wanted to just use the batiks I had bought, I stayed true to my promise and used a bunch of other kinds of fabrics as well; 30's, modern, & civil war repros.
I have also been wanting to learn how to do foundation piecing so I thought this would be a good opportunity to teach myself. I found this pattern on the internet.
I had a lot of fun with my first block...
...so I made a few more.
(I do wish I wouldn't have used the big patterned quatrefoil. It stands out a little too much. Oh well, live and learn :)
Instead of doing foundation paper piecing, I found this woman who uses a piece of muslin as the foundation and then you don't have to rip it off in the end. (This is also the tutorial that I went through to learn the technique) I traced the pattern onto the muslin the first time but then realized I could iron the muslin onto some freezer paper and run it through my printer. It saved a lot of time that way!
Another regret is that I didn't put a white border around the hearts before the pink border. The hearts kind of get lost in that wide, busy border.
Still working on that quilting business. I had a lot of problems with tension on this one but from a distance it looks okay :)
"HAPPY VALENTINE'S WEEK"
...as my cute husband has been saying multiple times the last several days :)