Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Mini Happy Quilt

This is a mini my mom made that has special meaning.
Her mother is a quilter from way back.  She always pieces one quilt a year and hand quilts it.
She has declared that this year's quilt is her last.  She calls it her happy quilt.  Go here (my mom's quilt blog) to see my cute Grandma and her quilt.

Mom used the scraps from Grandma's happy quilt to make these minis...one for me and one for my sister.
I copied this excerpt from my mom's blog:

"The backing, bindings, even the batting are from the leftovers of Mom's quilt. I also tried to replicate the quilting motifs Mom has used in her own quilt--and I hand quilted them. Now my daughters will have a little memory quilt of their grandma's Happy Quilt, and I have enough pieces to make one for myself."

I posted about this birdbath watercolor quilt that Grandma made back here.
I think this is a good little spot for the mini.
Something that I did not mention in the other post is that while it was in storage, unbeknownst to me, part of it was exposed in our unfinished basement...hence no window coverings.  I was sick when I pulled it out to hang and saw the top right portion of the black border had faded :(  I wish there was something I could do to fix it!
Mom's mini helps cover up that unfortunate spot now.

A close up of the hand stitching...

...just as tiny and neat as Grandma's :)

Thank you Mom and Grandma for a beautiful heritage of quilting.
I hope I can live up to it!

1 comment:

  1. Aimee, you are already way beyond what I had done in the way of quilting at your age. You will exceed us!

    ReplyDelete