Thursday, November 8, 2018

Massachusetts Part 3

We had planned on making Thursday a Boston day but there were several factors (including my car sickness) that made us change our mind.  We ended up staying very local and had kind of a lazy, very rainy day :)
First we drove into Lee and splashed through a lot of rain to get to our restaurant of choice for lunch...
The Starving Artist Cafe

It was a really fun place...

...and we enjoyed the food!
This is my pear crepe and lavender hot chocolate!



We tried to do some souvenir shopping after lunch but had a hard time finding what we were looking for.  I think we ended up going back up to The Guid's that day and then back to the farmhouse for some relaxation.


We played games that night and Jo was able to join us.
This isn't that night but it was the only picture of us playing games that I had so...
The most popular game of the trip was Code Names Pictures!

That night some of us were displaced because of an odor concern in Angie's bedroom upstairs so I slept on the couch in the living room and enjoyed the sound of little mice and my brother's snoring (I won't say which one :) through the night.

The next day, Friday, Dad had planned a drive along the Mohawk Trail...it was supposed to have some of the best fall color in the area.
I wasn't taking my chances with car sickness any more so I dosed up on Dramamine and fell asleep for a good part of the drive :(
We stopped at a spot along the way called Natural Bridge.
It was a whole lot of granite and stuff...pretty cool.






I was very cold...

...and still very drowsy from the meds...
(I think I'm stifling a yawn in the picture below)
so I wasn't super enthused about it all.
But it was a beautiful place :)




This was a lookout point along the drive...





Then we got to Shelburne Falls/Buckland area and the attraction that I was looking forward to... Bridge of Flowers!



It had been an old trolley bridge between the two towns but when the trolley company went out of business the tracks became overrun by weeds.  A local had the idea to turn it into a garden in the early 1900's and that is the story in a nutshell.



It was very beautiful!
I was amazed at all the flowers still blooming in October...I hadn't expected so many!









James found a place in Shelburne Falls that was vegan friendly called Hearty Eats.
I had this yummy pumpkin seed pesto over noodles and veggies...the squash was extra good!!!


After lunch James and Ang had to head back to the farmhouse for a couple of things but Mom and Dad and I continued onto an historic New England village in Deerfield.
We didn't have a lot of time to explore before we needed to get back for the rehearsal dinner so it was a swift visit.  Mom wished we would have had a whole day to do just that :)

The rehearsal dinner was in Pittsfield at the Hancock Shaker Village.
It was a cold, long walk to the barn where the event was to be held but it was beautiful!

It was a bit chilly in the barn but we were able to get tables arranged and the procession worked out...

Afterward, everyone went to the Birrell's home for pizza.

This is my new friend Sarah!











Twinners!



Groom and Bride dads...

Bride and Groom moms...





It was a wonderful day full of nature's beauty, good food and amazing people!

1 comment: