Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day

It was not a particularly special day for one that only comes once every four years, but I thought I'd share some of our happenings...

Truthfully, I don't make it a habit to go Visiting Teaching on the last day of the month, but let's just say I'm glad February had an extra day this year because that is the only day we were able to make it work this month.

I've been trying to come up with something fun to take to the sisters we visit especially since one of them we haven't been able to contact the last several months and so we just drop by with a little something.
I saw the ugly bananas on my counter and decided to make one of my favorite Pinterest recipes.
It is divine.  One of the best things about this recipe is that is comes right out of the pans perfectly every time.
I have made a couple of adjustments to the recipe:
Instead of coconut milk, I use evaporated milk
and I also use about 1/2-1 tsp. of coconut extract in addition to the vanilla and almond.
I'm sure it's not original but I came up with a goofy saying, attached a tag to the beautiful, mini loaves and I was set.



Andy had been put in charge of dinner.  When I came home from visiting I found him working on it...on the computer.  He was so clever and put together a healthy dinner game.  He listed a whole bunch of fruits, veggies and nuts and attached a point value to them in Excel.  

We entered each serving of each food as we ate and the computer did the work of multiplying and figuring out our points for us.  Certain totals of points earned different "desserts".  Nothing fancy, just things that the kids like from our pantry such as chocolate pudding and such.
I was skeptical and didn't think the kids would really appreciate it.
You could have blown me over with a feather as I heard my offspring asking for broccoli and cauliflower and spinach (the heavy pointers).  It was discovered that Josh and Matt actually enjoy these veggies.  Abby was a willing sport and tried everything but ended up not earning the points for finishing a full serving.  One of my favorite moments of the night was when Matt asked for some "spidachios"...his favorite nut.





This was Ben's reaction when we told him that fish didn't earn him any points.

But grapes did!

That calls for a kiss!

The kids loved the dinner!  I think we'll have to do this again...maybe once a month.

Something else that happened on this fine day was that we discovered Ben's love for Legos.
He sat for at least two hours in his chair with a bunch of them as we cleaned and and did various things.  He was completely content.  I was amazed as he stacked and took apart (or fell apart) and restacked.




He did have a little help at times.



I just love my cuties!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun post!! I need to make that coconut banana bread again, but the guys eat up the bananas before they are ripe enough!
    I love the dinner idea--how clever. Great shots of the kids eating healthy--and Ben's face. Priceless!
    Who knew Legos would hold his attention so long? They don't even have batteries! : )

    ReplyDelete