Sunday, August 12, 2012

Ten Years and Tonsils

Andy brought me Ben's room :) on Thurs. morning in celebration of our 10th wedding anniversary. 
Placed on the tray were two sprigs of beautiful hydrangea.

I thought it was sweet since I know he knows I like them a lot, but he also reminded me I wore them in my hair on our wedding day.  He has such a good memory and can be quite sentimental about things like that :)

This is kind of a lame post about an anniversary because there will be no pictures of the two of us.  For some reason I didn't think to get one that day and so my next thought was to post some of our wedding pictures, but alas, ten years ago, it wasn't as common to have a digital copy of in other words, I need to get busy on scanning our pics.

Anyway, he also handed me a gift...

I immediately recognized it.
While we were dating, we coincidentally gave each other for Christmas, an empty gold box based on this talk from a First Presidency Christmas Devotional.
After we were married I ended up putting some trinkets from our dating days in the box and storing it away.  Andy hunted for it in the storage room and gave it to me again.
This is what I found in the box...

These were some of the hydrangeas that I wore in my hair on our wedding day.

Around Christmas time in the year that we were dating, Andy sneakily slipped a hand crafted fortune into a packaged cookie from a restaurant and gave it to me.  Looking at the numbers on the bottom, I recognize our birthdays but the last two numbers I'm not sure what they represent...(I truly have an awful memory).  It's kind of a funny coincidence though because they ended up being the birthday of one of our kiddos.  The red and green thing in the bag is mistletoe that I believe hung from his rear view mirror for a while  ;)

Some dried roses from different occasions.

Now this bee has a story.  I'll see if I can tell it briefly.  It was Valentine's Day, 2002.  I had absolutely no idea what to give Andy.  He and I had institute classes across the hall from each other at the same time that day.  I had to have something to give him when we saw each other after class.  I was desperate because I did something that I'd never done before and never did far as I can remember :)...I skipped class!  Shocking I know.  I went shopping during that hour and arrived back at campus empty handed.  I just didn't know what to do.  I hurried to the vicinity of my classroom, needing to be there when Andy came out of his class.  As I approached a minute or two before class ended, I saw Andy standing out in the hall holding a big bouquet of flowers.  I can't remember all the particulars, but poor Andy had arranged with my teacher to make a clever presentation of my Valentine's Day gift during class...but I wasn't there.  It was kind of a "Gift of the Magi" moment.  I felt so bad.  Anyway, this little bee was sitting amongst the flowers in the bouquet.  (I love bees).
So these were some of the memories I found in the gold box.  It was sweet of Andy to remember.

Well, the rest of the day was pretty regular.  I ended up squeezing in a trip to the doctor and he added a new med to what I'm already on.  We'll see if that does anything.
When I came home from my appointment, Andy and the kids surprised me with an Olive Garden dinner for two with candlelight.  Abby and Josh drew up some menus.  They were pretty cute :)

(10 years ago)
We ate dinner amongst fighting, tears, and interruptions but it was still nice...any dinner is nice that you don't have to cook :)
I love my hubby!  He's an amazing man and I know I don't fully recognize how blessed I am to have him.
Happy 10th hon!

Now, to totally switch gears...

Remember these?

Well, they're gone!
Matt was a really big boy on Friday and somewhat willingly had his tonsils removed.

 He had been pretty worried about it and, over the last several days, repeatedly told me he wasn't going to have them out.  Well, Andy gave him a blessing the night before and we talked a lot about how Heavenly Father would help him.  I guess those things helped enough to get this smile out of him before surgery.  They had him in and out super fast.  I only waited about 30 minutes before the doctor came in and told me that he had done well.  He said, and I quote, "Big, huge tonsils.  Nasty.  Awful!  They needed to come out - no question!"  While he was in recovery I listened to the little boy in the next room screaming.  I got worried that Matt would come back in tears.  However, when they wheeled him in he was silently curled up in the big bed on his side.  I asked him how he was doing and he just stared straight ahead.  I was glad he wasn't crying but it was a bit disconcerting to have no response at all.  He came around eventually.


  He was okay drinking and walking around so they sent us home in good time.

Didn't feel like giving me a smile there.

Matt wanted to take our Staples "Easy Button" with us and push it after he was done.  We barely remembered when we got in the car to go home.

He was a bit sick a couple of times that afternoon but he was in pretty good spirits.  He fell asleep on the couch that evening for a while and when he woke up the anesthesia had worn off so he was in quite a bit of pain.  He got himself worked up into quite a tizzy and wouldn't take the medicine.  When we finally got him to calm down and take his medicine he ended up being fine and has continued to do well.  My favorite part about all of this is his cute, high, little voice that he's using when he talks.

 He's enjoyed having the endless popsicles, drinks and various other frozen treats that he picked out at the store with Andy a couple nights before. 
He was a trooper and I am proud of him!

1 comment:

  1. That Andy is a treasure.
    And Matt is a sweetie--love the voice, too.