Friday, March 9, 2012

An Experiment

Just a quick little moment I had yesterday morning...
Josh had fallen on the way down to the bus stop.  Instead of continuing down to the bus, he turned around and came back home.  Consequently, I drove him and Abby to school (following right behind the bus no less).  As I was dropping them off, the bus driver came off the bus with Josh's coat...he had left there the day before.
I had never met her before...she was so nice.  She wanted to chat for a few minutes.  Over the course of our five minute conversation, she must have told me three different times that Josh was "just a darn good kid".
It was good for a mother to hear.

Okay...now for the experiment...
I was inspired last week by two things...
Jenifer, from Moss Moments mentioned recently that her new rule is to keep her computer off all day until her kids are in bed.  I smiled when I read that because I thought what a good thing that would be for me too.  It can be such a distraction...even without Pinterest!  However, I had no real intention to do it...until I read this a couple of days later...such an amazing talk.  What clinched it for me was this sentence...  "I urge each of us to take those things which rob us of precious time and determine to be their master, rather than allowing them through their addictive nature to be the master of us."
Okay, I'll give it a go.  Thursday was my first day with the computer off.  It was nifty!  The morning was less stressful getting the kids off to school (until they missed the bus).  I was much more productive and patient and able to spend more time with the boys during the day.  At first, I kind of felt like I was missing out on things that were going on on the computer...but do you know what?  It was all still there when I did turn it on!
(I am allowing myself to get on during nap time too...not just after the kids go to bed at night).
Today was my second day and I definitely see the benefits and feel a lot better about how I'm spending my time.  It's my new rule too.  I will be a master of these things.  Thanks Jenifer and Elder Ardern!  

To end the night, I went to my cute cousin in law's baby shower. 

 
This one...aren't they cute!

Anyway, I love giving burp cloths made from cloth diapers.  My babies have all been spitters and they just seem to be the most absorbent.  So I "embellish" them.

These are the ones I've done for Jen...



(I forgot to get pictures before I tied them all up.)
And here are some others that I've done in the past....



I've got to work on those dark pictures!


and a quilt for a good friend's first boy


Anyway, they pair up well with a package of diapers.
Congratulations Jen and Clay!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about Josh's fall, but nice opportunity to hear good things from the bus driver.
    Congrats on being the master, Aims. I need to do that, but when do my kids go to bed? : )
    Hey, there's a quilt on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love using cloth diapers as burp cloths. My first two could have been volcanos, they erupted so much, but I am now lucky to have a nonspitter (a miracle, really). What you have done with these cloths are great! And I love your idea of only using the computer when the kiddos are sleeping. I know I spend far too much time on here, and that is an excellent suggestion. :)

    ReplyDelete