Monday, September 24, 2012

There's a cello in our house! {and some odds and ends}


So have you ever seen "The Piano Guys" on YouTube?
Jon Schmidt and Steven Sharp Nelson?
If you haven't already checked them out you need to...they're amazing!

Here's one of our favorites...
...so since I feel really dumb and don't know how to put a video in my post I'll just link you to it :)
Here it is!

Josh has admired these guys for a while; ever since he saw their "Cello Wars".
I guess they've inspired him and his friend to take up the cello in their school orchestra this year.
It kind of surprised me but Andy and I happily encouraged it.

They've just recently received their instruments and started having class.  So far so good :)
Can I just tell you how fun it is to hear an instrument other than the piano in my home?
The first few days after receiving the instrument it was just kind of fun remembering that there was a cello in the corner of the front room.



My mom wanted to play the cello when she was younger but her parents thought she was too small to carry one around so she ended up with the violin.  She's happy that Josh is learning now.

I have a cute cousin who is very good at the cello but she just went away to her first year of college.
Poor timing...it would have been great to have her be Josh's private teacher.

We were lucky to find one of her former students willing to come to our home weekly and give him lessons.
She's a sweet girl and I think she'll be great with Josh.



They had their first lesson last week.
Pretty exciting!

Right now, Josh is anxious and excited to practice each day...let's hope that lasts :)

Doesn't he look great?
Luckily he was able to get rid of his crutches just in time to start lugging this around :)

And in other news...
I just had some other cute pictures I wanted to share.

Here's a few of the kiddos surrounding my brother James; spellbound as they communicate with "Siri".




This is what I found when I came home from running some errands late this afternoon...

...two of my guys exhausted after a long day at work and a seizure.

4 comments:

  1. Andy could've at least taken his tie off before he fell asleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Josh with the cello! Go Josh!!
    Now I am really dumb--who or what is "Siri"? Is it that iphone voice?
    Ben looks so big in that picture--oh, I miss those kids, and it has only been eight days since I saw them. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to play something besides the piano, but alas, not musically talented enough (maybe just not dedicated enough!!!) So, how nice to hear that stringed cello!!! Your family is precious!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Piano Guys! Lauren will even sit and watch them play. The cello is fun. I did orchestra in elementary and had alot of fun with it. That's good that he's so excited about it!

    ReplyDelete