Thursday, June 18, 2015

Oregon Family Vacation 2015...Day 3

On day #3 the 3 oldest kids woke up bright and early so Andy took them to Otter Rock/Devil's Punchbowl while Ben continued to sleep.
Here are a few shots from that excursion...




Andy had checked the tide schedule and knew it would be low tide early that morning so  they got to see some pretty neat tide pools.




Once they were back and everyone had eaten we all went to the Newport Aquarium.


I love Abby's face above...she's telling me to look at the enormous eel that you can see slithering around the rock in the picture below.




The two jellyfish displays were probably my favorite...so peaceful to watch.



Andy really liked the puffins in the aviary





Ben had had a couple of seizures already that morning so he was pretty out of it and not too happy most of the time.

The kids each did one of those machines that flattens and embosses pennies.  They thought that was pretty neat :)



Next we went down to the bay front.  Ben was recovering from another seizure so Andy stayed in the car with him and relaxed while the other three kids and I went shopping...for ice cream among other things.  
In one of the shops there was a beautiful dog sitting on the counter.  The owner said that she had been trained to sit there since when she was the size of a soda can.  The kids thought that was really fun.

Back in downtown Newport there was a quilt shop that I asked Andy to stop at for just a few minutes.
There in the window were a dog and a cat.
I never think these animals are real until they move!
We thought it was funny that we were seeing so many pets in the stores
You have to look kind of hard to see the black cat in the other window...

Next was the Yaquina Head Lighthouse

It was so cold and windy there!




This was about the happiest I we saw Ben that day.

I loved the clouds above the lighthouse.

Abby and I hurried down to Cobble Beach for a few minutes...





Then we drove back to Otter Rock/Devil's Punchbowl for my benefit.
Andy and I were pretty sure we were watching whales at one point...

We ate at Mo's West...


...and had their famous peanut butter cup pie for dessert.

After dinner it was not quite low tide again but it was as close as we were going to get so Abby and I went back down to Devil's Punchbowl so I could have a chance to see it.




I thought this one was funny...looks like an old man with a moustache!


It was so fun running around the beach with my daughter :)
Unbeknownst to us, Andy was up above taking pictures of us.





Another picture courtesy Andy...that's me and Abby down there on the left.
Gorgeous place!
I'm so glad I got to go even though it wasn't as impressive as earlier that morning.

Ben ended up having five seizures that day but they were so spread out we didn't ever give him the Diastat.  We probably should have but it's just always so hard to know.
The poor guy has been a trooper though...sitting in the car for hours on end, being pushed around in the stroller when he would much rather walk etc etc....

1 comment:

  1. Looks like an amazing day!
    Can you imagine swimming among the jellyfish like Norma and Herm did? Sounds so cool to me. Glad you got to go down to the punchbowl. Looks like an adventure. : )
    I remember the black rock beach being very tiring on my feet and legs to walk on for very long. Did you experience that?

    ReplyDelete